Friday 1 January 2010

Beat VI (cont.)

Yes, so after man-handling the playdough, I decorated stars and angels with the gang in the small room and we hung them on the fireplace. Flam Jam provided a perfect flamenco-ey backdrop, mellow and cleverer than anything I could ever play.
Our childroom supervisor (and my lovely daughter) Hayley had to be rushed to A&E with a shocking asthma attack, may be it was induced by all the excitement of the Belle et la Beat, or possibly brought on by cat fur and fags. She is on the mend now, thankfully. Super Jo took over and I was able to pop my head in the door to watch...
Richard Moore (aka Bearcraft). He did clever things with an electric guitar and keyboard. He made a fabulous sound, so much going on for just one man - I really enjoyed the songs, more intricate than pop but groovy too.
After taking the spotlight and drawing the raffle (hightlight of my day) we made room on the stage for Southend's finest garage and soul band, The Phrogs. It was a rare treat to have them play as their last gig was almost exactly a year ago at a private party and prior to that, about ten years ago. I love the Phrogs and Dave Dulake is probably my favourite live drummer of all time - I could watch him play for hours. The Phrogs brougbt back happy memories and they went down a storm.
Andrew Holley took over on the sound desk, setting up the PA and running it all afternoon and for that we are extremely grateful, Wendy played some vibey sounds between the bands and Rachel Holley did a fantastic job passing the Solomon heirloom, Horrace the hedgehog - we managed to collect enough £s through donations to pay for the flyers and the arts and crafts in the children's room, thank you everyone for being so generous.
Can't wait til the next one on the 31st Jan - just sorting out the line-up now...... watch this space.

2 comments:

  1. welcome to the blogosphere ^_*
    playdough always smells just how you remember it!
    well done for another fab day :
    white on black makes my eyes go funny but I'll endure it ...
    for Belle-issima Beaters :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CG - I was wondering why I was still seeing lines after writing on here (: I will attempt to change the migrane-inducing layout B&B x

    ReplyDelete