Monday 11 October 2010

Focus Youth Theatre Final Fling

Focus Youth Theatre Final Fling:

Back in August 2010, Michael Giller suggested to B&B that it would be fun to put on a gig together with ArtGruppe, Columbo, MG and Le Mat - seeing as we'd all been around the local music scene from the early 80s, either as groupies, musicians, or both! I talked it over with Roy and he suggested the Focus Theatre as a venue, he'd played his first gig there with The Windmills as had many other bands at that time. When I went to Focus to book it up, I discovered that the centre was being knocked down to make room for a new Tesco and its car park, so our reunion gig became the final Focus gig ever!!!

I had such trouble trying to get the posters done, I have no publishing package and James Parry was sending me drafts which my email was shrinking - anyway, the posters/flyers were simple, stark and reminiscent of the gig flyers from the mid-80s which was handy.

I went fly posting for the first time in 20 years too, it was exhilarating and fun - until I discovered that TOTS had covered my £1.25 each posters almost immediately - posters+petrol+glue+heartache = doesn't bare thinking about!

There is no longer the Pine Bar at Focus, or any bar for that matter so I bought some soft drinks and me and my middle daughter bagged up some sweets to sell on the day to try and raise a few extra £s for the funds.

About 60 people paid on the door and another few had tickets already, Hayley and Tim were fine doormen and Emilia, Rhiannon and Lola did a super job selling refreshments.

Michael Giller came on to his intro music in a heavy cloud of smoke, he played a mixture of his own songs and covers, including The Smiths.. Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

ArtGruppe did their summery indie pop thing with a couple of new songs thrown in, Now and Ugly Boy Ugly Girl - a more upbeat and heavier set than usual.

Columbo rocked in a souly sort of way - Rob growled and high kicked his way through and energetic set of northern soul and mod classics.

Le Mat were heroes of mine when I first started going to Focus Youth Theatre, I used to play their album over and over again and giggle if ever I saw them out and about. I spent my pocket money on tickets for their Focus and Queens shows. They say you should never meet your idols....
Le Mat's set started off brilliantly, they played songs of the aforementioned album and a nostagic rush filled my veins - the singer had changed quite drastically but the overall look remained the same. Sadly, supporting Duran Duran back in the day had caused personality shifts and after an unfortunate powercut, which Andrew Holley managed to single handedly rectify within 15 minutes, the band, the sound and the set deteriorated quite rapidly. The audience were polite and understanding on the whole but the show had taken a wrong turn - Le Mat ended up overrunning half an hour, sadly not leaving any time for Paul Tunkin to finish the afternoon with a dj set.

I am so glad to have been a part of the final Focus Theatre gig -big thanks are owed to all the bands and helpers for giving up their time, gear and talent to make the afternoon happen... it is much appreciated and I enjoyed being a tiny part of the building's long and rich musical history.



1 comment:

  1. sounds like a proper good day:
    well done for organising it:
    shame these little venues have to be closed for yet another Tesco!
    providing somewhere new for the 'youth' to hang out?
    nah:
    see you at the next B&B ^_^

    ReplyDelete